A ground-breaking practical course, featuring pre-course lectures online, live demos, ‘hands-on’ skills stations, and pathologies at iMac workstations. This revised course is organised by Infomed Research & Training, on Thursday 15 and Friday 16 November 2018, at the Grange Holborn Hotel, 50-60 Southampton Row, London WC1B 4AR
This course will run again on on Thursday 23 and Friday 24 May 2019, at the Park Plaza County Hall Hotel, 1 Addington Street, London SE1 7RY
Dr David Elias, Consultant Radiologist, King’s College Hospital, London
£525 (inc VAT)
Course fee includes web access to the latest Course data and presentations
submitted by the faculty, lunch and refreshments and attendance certificate.
About the course
- Knowledge and practical skills will be gained by a mixture of pre-course on-line lectures, demos, skills stations, and iMac workstations for pathology recognition.
- Pre-course online access to lectures (video and slides), covering anatomy and pathologies on shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, hip, knee, and ankle and foot.
- The online lectures are required viewing before the course
- Short review lectures and live demo sessions on the day
- Hands-on ultrasound learning and practice at Skills Stations under the supervision of experts in MSK imaging
- Cases, including pathology recognition at iMac workstations.
- No knowledge of ultrasound knobology or techniques is assumed
This course provides 12 CPD credits in accordance with the CPD Scheme of the Royal College of Radiologists, plus up to 3 CPD credits online learning.
The course builds on the London MSK Ultrasound Skills Course that has been running with great success since 2010. The 2017 programme is revised with a view to:
- allowing participants to view lectures online (video and slides) at their leisure before the course (and for revision after the course); and
- allowing much more time for ‘hands-on’ learning and practice on the course days proper
NB The online lectures are required viewing before the course
The online lectures
- Introduction to MSK US: Dr David Elias (22 mins).
- Shoulder Ultrasound: Dr Syed Babar (42 mins).
- Elbow US: Dr Chandani Thorning (33 minutes).
- Hand & Wrist US: Dr Lisa Meacock (30 mins).
- Ultrasound and Synovitis: Dr David Elias (23 mins).
- Hip Ultrasound: Dr Leonard King (28 mins).
- Knee Ultrasound: Dr Leonard King (23 mins).
- Foot and Ankle Ultrasound: Dr Keshthra Satchi (18 mins).
The online lectures are required viewing before the course:
- After booking, the participant will receive a link, username and password, allowing online access for up to six months after the course.
- After viewing, the participant can save and/or print an Online Learning Certificate (3 hours).
- On the course days proper, participants will have opportunities to ask questions during the Review sessions before each practical session.
The course is designed for clinicians new to MSK US, including:
- Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Sports Medicine Physicians
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
The Course is essentially an introduction to US imaging and techniques for assessing MSK injuries – a first step towards further MSK US training. The participants:
- Acquire a basic understanding of the physics, technology, instrumentation and techniques in MSK US
- Learn to recognise normal MSK anatomy under US
- Learn to identify sonographic image appearance commonly associated with key MSK pathologies
- Observe and practise ultrasound examination of each joint in different planes, covering shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, hip, knee, and ankle and foot